Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Extra Credit: Clean Part Reading...

"My Grandmother comes to mind." - Kate Greenstreet
My Grandma Alice comes to mind when I remember the summers of my childhood. Every summer since I was in elementary school my sister and I have gone to Ankeny, Iowa to visit our Grandma Alcie and Grandpa Dale. Our Mom and Dad would drive to meet them half way in Missouri Valley. Once our parents left, we were on our own, free to be spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa. As I relive those trips, I am reminded of specific traditions. For instance, I think of my Grandma's home-cooked meals, Godfather's Pizza, and Adventureland. Without fail, every summertime visit to Grandma and Grandpa's house contained these elements. My Grandma cooks some of the most delicious food ever. Her monkey bread, party mix, cheesy scrambled eggs, homemade pizza, and walking tacos are infamous. My mouth literally waters with excitement as I prepare to eat my Grandma's cooking. the only thing we eat when visiting that is not homemade is Godfather's Pizza. One night during each visit we call up the aunts, uncles, and cousins to have a little party at the Godfather's Pizza near our Grandparents' house. It is a great family tradition that brings us together for food, laughter, and conversation. We do not get to see each other very often so we catch up on the latest gossip as we stuff our faces full of pizza. As we satisfy our nutritional and social needs, we kill two birds with one stone. Another time we all get together during our summer visit is for our annual trip to Adventurland. Des Moines' popular amusement park is an annual family gathering spot for the Delaney family. Our fun-filled day begins with the thrill rides, continues on with the magic show, and then we take a break to eat lunch and listen to the "Soda and Sounds" singing group. Our day always end with a ride on the Ferris wheel, a stop at the candy shop to pick out a treat, and then a ride on the train. These are the things that will come to mind when I remember my Grandma. I will look back and think of all our fun times together.

No comments: