Sunday, March 9, 2008

sweet music?!...


I really enjoyed our Zaireeka experiment. It was a unique experience previously foreign to me. I had never heard of synchronizing CD players, however, I was intrigued and pleased with the results. This experiment really left a positive impression on me. I must say that I walked out of the classroom on Tuesday with a new meaning of the term “music.” I used to think that music was carefully crafted songs consisting of vocals, piano accompaniment, instrumental background, time and key signatures, and crescendos and diminuendos. Furthermore, I also believed that music could only be considered beautiful by contain the perfect blend of those aspect. However, music is so much more than that. Music is a creative form of expression not constricted by rules. As I learned from the various tracks, music can even include the sounds of dogs barking, birds chirping, and the wind and rain of a powerful storm. Music is meant to relay a message to the listener, and that can be done in any way the musician sees fit. It is truly a form of art, and no matter how bizarre it may be, all music is beautiful in its uniqueness. In Women’s Choir here at Wesleyan, we are singing a song where we cluck like chickens. This song is the most outrageous piece of music I have ever sung. The Zaireeka experiment helped me realize how this song, though full of the sounds of clucking chickens, is a beautiful piece of music. I cannot help but laugh and smile, as the piano plays and I begin to cluck with my choir members. I realize that beautiful music has the power to influence moods. A song could be an obnoxious combination of instruments, a weird tempo, and peculiar lyrics can still be considered music. The term “music” is very broad and Zaireeka opened my eyes to the truth and diminished my stereotypes of “beautiful music.”

No comments: