Friday, April 25, 2008

barbie girl...

On my third birthday I received my first Barbie from my parents. I felt so cool and very grown up. She had long platinum blonde hair, light blue eyes, and a pink shiny dress. In fact on the pink box were the words “My First Barbie.” I ripped open the pink wrapping paper and was extremely exciting to see what was inside. That Barbie became my favorite toy on my third birthday. Since receiving my first Barbie I was enthralled with them throughout my childhood. I made sure that I had the latest clothes, accessories, cars, and homes for my Barbies.

As a girl who used to like playing with and dressing up Barbies, when this song was released I loathed it. I heard this song for the first time and felt as if my childhood had ended. Unfortunately, this song caused me to grow up quickly because it gave me a harsh reality check. This song is like a bad buzzing in my ear any time I hear it. “Barbie Girl” gave an immediate change of attitude towards Barbies. After hearing it, I no longer saw Barbies as being a cool, fun toy.

My interpretation of Barbies switched from childish to the way adults see them. I saw them as being ridiculous and stupid, and thus saw myself as to old and mature for them. After Aqua wrote “Barbie Girl” I never chose or wanted to play with Barbies. I not only loathe this song, but I now loath the whole idea of Barbies. These dolls are just contributing to our media’s influence in losing weight and being beautiful. The media’s interpretation of women is idealistic and unrealistic. According to the media, I am letting everyone down b y being short and having blonde hair. I dislike this song because it contributes to me feeling inferior and “not beautiful.”

2 comments:

Ryan Osberg said...

Looking through videos that various people have posted I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this. Thankfully I don't think that anybody would dare put this as one of their favorite videos. And if they did I would love to meet that person. I personally have never had the joy of playing with barbies, except for briefly stealing them to tease my younger cousins. However, I fully believe that you have grasped the one horrible thing about barbies- the "ideal" that they have is completely unrealistic. This is a very important thing that I don't think I could agree with you more on. I'd like to think that by the time I have children, daughters perhaps, that barbies will become outdated and they won't have to worry about these unreal expectations of beauty.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'd like to express my jealousy. I never got to play with barbies when I was little. My parents thought that if I had barbies I would feel badly about being short and brunette. Instead I got ninja turtles and the female power rangers. So... instead of making me feel poorly about my self, these toys made me want to beat up people. Is this an improvement over poor self-image? Is it better to be a 'tomboy' and a 'tough' girl than a materialistic snobby girl? I don't know. I do however agree with you that this song is uncool and that the expectations that go along with barbie are uncool as well.