Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the one and only...

I was introduced to the song “The One and Only” when I first watched “Doc Hollywood” starring Michael J. Fox. It was written by Nik Kershaw and recorded by Chesney Hawkes. This song really pumps me up and makes me feel good about just being me. While not everyone will like me, I am ok with that. I am comfortable with myself and I know that there are people that care about me and love me just the way I am. There are times when I feel like changing something about myself and then I realize that I would not be Katelyn anymore.

I feel that what makes a person unique is what makes them beautiful. Though some may feel they have “imperfections,” there is beauty in imperfections and it is important to learn to love them. For instance, I am short and absolutely hate my height sometimes. However, I have grown, no pun intended, to use my height to my advantage. I have also realized that my height is a characteristic that makes me unique. It is something special about me and no one can take it away from me.

Many people find it hard to “stand out from the crowd.” They often prefer to blend in with everyone else. I say that standing out from others puts someone in a special place. Often, those people who are brave enough to express their individuality are the ones who get noticed and are placed in the spotlight. For instance, look at celebrities. Do celebrities become famous by looking and acting like everyone else? Are celebrities perfect? The answer to both of these question would be no. First off, celebrities most certainly are not perfect. They are just regular people like everyone else. However, celebrities take their individuality and talent and use them to their advantage to gain attention. In this world though being “normal” and “blending in” may seem like a good idea, it is better to stand out. Everyone is unique and something special to offer, so share it with the world instead of hiding it.

No comments: